The first is: February 5, 1999 1:00 pm
The second is: February 8, 1999 9:30 pm
The channels vary but Warner Cable is #17, TCI is #66, 82 or 96, other companies vary. We'll try to send out more broadcast dates as we get them, or contact Access Houston Community TV at 713/524-7700.
Volunteer Emily Nghiem still needs help to translate these
into Spanish, Vietnamese, and other languages for a legal literacy
campaign to establish a civil rights center and museum in Houston.
Protest Sham Trial! Beginning of misdemeanor trespass trial of Officer James Willis. Wear black clothing and black ribbons.
See below for other activities of interest in the upcoming week. If you have an activity you want posted let us know!
IMPORTANT DATES - UPCOMING EVENTS:
* PROTEST - Monday, August 17, 10:00 a.m. Harris County Courthouse, 301 San Jacinto (between Preston and Congress Streets, downtown) For more information, contact Benito Juarez at (713)926-2890, fax: 926-2877.
* FAMILIES of Pedro Oregon and Oliver Rodriguez, Jr. SPEAK OUT - Wednesday, August 19, 1998, 7:00 p.m. Chapultepec Restaurant, 813 Richmond Ave. (east of Montrose Blvd.) For more information, contact: La Resistencia at (713)521-3099.
* NATIONAL PROTEST on October 22, 1998 to Stop Police Brutality: 1-888-NO-BRUTALITY or www.unstoppable.com. e-mail: Oct22@unstoppable.com. Contributions may also be sent to: IFCO/Oct 22nd c/o KHL, Inc. 160 First Ave. NY, NY 10009 or contact: La Resistencia, P.O. Box 2823, Houston, TX 77252-2823.
* GROUP TESTIMONIES to be given before City Council and the County Commissioners' Court and to be gathered from the community. To participate in these actions, call Benito at (713)926-2890 or Marilyn at (281)405-8998.
At the first meeting to form the Justice for Pedro Oregon Coalition, the following demands were put forth:
1. Justice for Pedro Oregon and his family.
2. Murder charges and life sentencing for the police responsible.
3. Recognition of civil and human rights of immigrants.
4. Restitution for the family.
5. Public apology by the Police Department.
6. Legal expenses provided for the family.
7. End to police brutality.
8. Formation of community-based review board with power and publicly funded.
The following activists were present (organizations listed for identification only):
Ellen Burns Houston Peace and Justice Center (713)723-9275 Pax Christi Tony Cantu Human Rights Activist (281)493-1212 (Response to Statement by Johnny Holmes, D.A.) Susan Clements Corporate Justice (713)863-8046 Casey Davis Texas Coalition to Abolish the Death Penalty (713)522-7880 Nora Dwyer Human Rights Activist (713)528-1817 Joanne Gavin All Peoples Congress (281)523-8454 Robert Gartner Fathers for Justice (713)607-6960 Marilyn Head Corpus Justice, Inc. (281)405-8998 Gelel Houston Human Rights Activist (713)669-9909 Cristobal Hinojosa Zapatista Zolidarity Movement (713)697-0236 Benito Juarez Houston Immigration and Refugee Coalition (713)926-2890 Travis Morales La Resistencia (713)521-3099 Emily Nghiem Houston Progressive Online (713)867-5998 (See Houston Police Dept. mission statement) Pat Nichols Houston Peace Forum (281)681-6267 Karen Pecnik TCADP/Corpus Justice, Inc. (713)956-0727 Aaron Ruby Human Rights Activist (713)662-3313 e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org Gloria Rubac All Peoples Congress (713)861-5965 Alejandra Rincon Human Rights Activist (713)662-3313 Gloria Trevino Human Rights Activist (281)752-8884 Francisco Urguia Human Rights Activist (281)752-8884 Sarah Zein Human Rights Activist (281)988-7231
The following organizations are also recommended for future coalition development or legal research:
* Texas Justice Coalition www.informed.org 13164 Memorial Dr., Suite 152, Houston TX 77079 (an umbrella organization which includes: * Texans for Justice (713)222-9600 http://freeweb.pdq.net/texansforjustice/ * Network for Justice * and other governmental reform groups) * Justice For All (713)935-9300 fax: 935-9301 (See also http://www2.jfa.net/jfa) * Harris County Council of Organizations (281)629-6990 fax: (713)731-7447 * Constitutional Study Group (meets Mondays at 7:00 p.m. at Shoney's restaurant on Hillcroft near 59 S)
Please call (713)926-2890, fax (713)926-2877, or e-mail: email@example.com if you would like to join the coalition or volunteer for a committee task force such as: